Wednesday, November 11, 2009

in which isn't she loverly?

so this afternoon, I went to the Fortnightly Club for lunch. oh you know, just this little out of the way place, luncheons and talks and afternoon teas.




seriously it was totally ridiculous. the luncheon was hosted by the Friends of American Writers organization, a whole gang of really sweet ladies who love literature and love to support it. they awarded me their annual scholarship through Roosevelt, so I got to go to lunch with them and give a little thank you speech. yikes.

this morning I got up and got dressed and went to work per the usual. at lunch, I got all sophisticated, just jumped into a cab and zoomed off to Belleview place, and got out at the delightful little cottage to your left.



I felt like friggin Eliza Doolittle or something. chandeliers everywhere. dumbwaiters and guys in waistcoats bowing you into the doors (I am being mostly serious here.) at the tables, the place settings had the usual intimidating three forks. all these little old ladies in hats kissing cheeks. three course lunch and cake and coffee afterwards. I concentrated on not spilling cranberries and yams in my lap and tried to remember what I'd planned to say when the time came to accept my award.

the president of the club gave a nice introduction. the other award recipient talked first. she was very eloquent and gracious and I admired the ease of the way she thanked everyone. so when it was my turn, I stumbled up to the mic and talked about how greatful I was, how I'd wanted to be a writer since the sixth grade, my first story about star-crossed lovers and a haunted fort (which got me laughs), and how touched I was that people support my work, even people I don't know yet.

I know, sappy, right? but shhh, I really did mean it, every word. every time someone says "hey I like what you wrote", it's like Happy Birthday to Me. I just can't believe that people are that interested in me. it's easy to get caught up in yourself and write only for you. I have a hard time showing my work to other people, not because I'm snooty or stingy or even embarrassed. I just hate bragging. so when people, beyond prompts, just appreciate my work... it's a big warm honor that I don't think I will ever get used to.

then after all that serious business, I went to the bathroom and proceeded to fall down the stairs, but recovered with my usual poise and grace and nervous laughter. She is Saint Mary's.


anyway it was great, and a "real writer" moment. by which I mean the award, not the falling down the stairs thing. and hopefully a sign of more things to come.

in other news, I finished my second piece of fiction for workshopping. not at all what I expected. while riding on the train to work, I became inspired by Fleet Foxes. check them out if you don't already know the secret. they are brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, especially "White Winter Hymnal". I am literally obsessed with that song, I daily put it on repeat and ride the rails around the Loop.

what else what else.... I'm trying to polish something for the AWP Intro Journal  competition.... I dunno if I'll make it to the deadline but I am hoping. maybe Medusa will go.

yikes, life. I love you.

No comments: