Friday, November 13, 2009

in which I go into a tailspin

So yesterday my wallet got stolen.


AWESOME.

Looking in your empty purse is probably about the worst feeling in the world.

It really isn't that bad (except for one glaring hideous fact which will be described in greater detail later). I don't have any credit cards, just one debit card that I immedietly put a stop on. My library card, school ID card, health insurance card, and my upass were also in there... which also sucks, but are all replacable. The upass is probably the worst of the lot, since it takes 5-7 days to get a new one (!!!) and costs $35 (!!!!!!). My driver's lisence was in there, but that is also replacable. And fortunately I was headed back to Indiana anyway this weekend to see my brother's show.

AND ALL THAT WOULD NOT BE SO BAD. Except my social security card was in my wallet.....



This is the glaring hideous fact that I mentioned earlier, in case you weren't aware.

So I am not one of those fools that just blindly travels her merry way with her trusty social security card in her wallet. I keep it safely hidden inside a hollow book. Just kidding, I wish I had a hollow book. But the only reason I had it with me was because they had to make a copy of it at work so I could, you know, get paid. And of course it was the day that my wallet was stolen... or something.

I feel like I have to add the OR SOMETHING becuase I don't really know. I was at Starbucks buying a chai for lunch. I went over to the cream counter to stuff my cash (a whole two dollars!) back into my wallet... then I sat down and drank my chai and did a crossword. Then I went back to work. No one bumped into me or anything like that. My purse was with me the whole time. It was hanging on my chair, but it was pressed against the wall and I totally would have noticed someone rooting around in it. I didn't realize the wallet was missing until about four o'clock when I went to balance my check book.

But like I said, it's the goddamn socical security card that is the absolute worst facet of this whole debacle. Missing social security cards are forever. I will always have to be worried about this forever and ever and ever amen. It makes me sick just thinking about it.

Fuck you, thief.

No comments: